When looking through a Breck's Dutch Bulbs catalogue, I got the bug to plant some along the street side of the garage.  The bulb flowers do not last long, but oh, how beautiful they are while they are in bloom.  They bloom at different times, so it is possible to have blooms from March through June.  If perennials are also planted among them, then there will be color in the area throughout the summer.  I ordered over ten varieties, and something over a hundred bulbs.

So, I decided to take on the venture of preparing the area for them, and oh, what an endeavor I got into.

Here is a picture record of the project, with some explanations below some of the pictures.


This shows the area of the garage where the garden will be planted.  It measures about 27 feet in length, and will vary from 5 feet to 7 feet in width. The first three feet in width had a heavy layer of 2" rock that was full of crab grass which made getting the rock out like pulling it out of cement.  The first thing I did was to kill the crab grass.  Then I got about half of the rock out when my back went out, and that put me in severe pain.  Trying to do it in that kind of physical torture was almost impossible.  I hired a young man to help me with getting the rock out, and taking it to the dump.  I did not want to keep the rock, for there was crab grass all through it, and I did not want to transplant it to wherever I might use it. The grass had to be dug out in what would be the garden area, and this is the beginning of that, with more pictures following showing the progress.  What a thing a I got into here. I had planned to make a straight line at the front of the garden between it and the lawn.  But, Darlene did not like that idea, and therefore designed a curved line, which you can see if you look hard,  It becomes more apparent as the digging is accomplished.


Here you can see what each shovel full of grass looks like.  All of the dirt must be separated from the grass and its roots, and that is not an easy task.  I found that the best way to do it was to take a rubber mallet, and pound each clump so that the grass and roots were loose from the dirt, and then shake it free. This where it stands at the present.  I will start the separating of the dirt tomorrow (Monday Oct 7th), and then dig out the rest of the grass.  After that is done, I will then dig up the area where the rock and crab grass have been. My back is improving with every day, so it is not as painful to do the work, but still not a comfortable situation.  I expect that it will  be back to normal by the end of the week.  The bulbs will be here in another three weeks (end of Oct), so I must get it all done by that time.  After everything has been dug out, I will have to mix in peat moss, compost, or some kind of ground preparation to a depth of twelve inches.  Then, there is the watering system, which includes moving some lawn sprinklers.  It is a ton to get done, believe me. As of Tuesday, 10-9-07, all of the grass has now been dug up.  The dirt must be removed from the clumps, and the grass thrown out.  After that is accomplished, then the area where the rock was must be dug, and the crab grass separated from that dirt. Incidentally, How this Yucca plant has lived, I do not know.  I had not watered it even once in all the time I have been here.  It now has grown a good two feet since I started watering down the ground to make it softer for the digging.  Incredible.  It really cannot be seen, but a baby is coming up on the left side.


In digging up the crab grass area, I found there was a whole line of sprinkler risers that had been capped off well under the surface.  So, I decided to put in 12" risers with bubbler heads.  Whether I will use them or a soaker hose, I do not know, but thought I might as well put these in just in case I want to use them. I knew there was one outlet for a sprinkler, and have moved it to the end of the white pipe that reaches the grass.  This was necessary to make sure all of the lawn would still receive water. Well, the digging is all done, and the grass removed.  I never want to do that again, believe me.

I am now using a small electric roto tiller to mix in the planting soil.  You can tell how much of that is done by the color of the dirt.  Another day and that will be accomplished, including placing the rest of the border.  After that, I will have to grade it all out for the water flow.

Then, let the planting begin.  When that is done, I am going to take some time off before I get back to the inside work.  

I will publish a picture or two when the planting is finished, as there will be a few plants that can be seen.  Naturally, the bulbs will not come up until spring, and then I will publish some pictures of those.  If they do well, some of them should be quite spectacular.  At least they had better be.  This has been too much work otherwise.

The tilling and bordering is completed with sticks and rocks placed for a tentative plant and bulb layout. The Pansies have been planted.  They need to go in now so their roots will develop over the winter.  This gives the plants a greater ability to flower in the Spring, and boy, do they ever.

Except for getting the bulbs in, we probably will not plant anything more, except maybe for some Kale, until the spring.  The bulbs cannot be planted until the ground stays in the sixties.  We have had a very warm November, and the ground has just been to warm to plant thus far.


Shari, I decided to throw in a couple of pictures for you of some Marigolds in the garden area in front of the porch.  They are an incredible display.  I show them because these came up all by themselves.  We did not plant them.  Evidently seeds sprouted from what was planted the year before, and they have just outdone their selves.   This garden is displaying incredible color, and especially surprising to me now that we are in the fall.  Certainly as good as it was during the summer months.  So, here are few pictures to show it.


Just a few close ups.  These are Dahlia's. Then a couple of some brilliant roses, that, like the Dahlia's, measure like 5 - 6" in width.


I will be adding more as the project progresses.  Then of course, pictures of the blooms as they come up next spring through summer.  This is a lot of work, and a whole lot more than I thought.  Especially with my back as it has been.  But, if all goes well, it should be more than worth it.


The final design included a trellis on the garage wall.  If you would like to see that, and the progress that has been made since this all began, you can CLICK HERE.




















Hit Counter